Monday, May 10, 2010

Tournament time in Texas...

Long, but very satisfying, weekend...

ExplosiveSon had a baseball tournament in Grand Prairie this weekend, which we took 2nd place.  Great time, but the son was having a really rough time at the plate...I kind of lost it on him and went a little overboard.  Nothing like an overbearing father to set things right, huh?

Well, he snapped out of the slump the next day, much to my relief.  He even pitched the championship game, which we ended up losing 8-3, but he pitched very well. The team we played was pretty good, and he did an awesome job getting the ball over the plate.  I am immensely proud of him.

Politics in youth baseball never ceases to amaze me...I will leave it at that, but just know that there were some POUTY people out there.  Combine that with an egregious non-balk call that could have turned the tide in the championship game, and you almost could have brought my spirits down, but I had a great weekend.

It kind of makes me sad....this is probably the last year I am going to be able to be the coach of my son's team, as he hits 9th grade next year and in all probability will be able to be on the HS JV squad (or one of them).  I really don't know what I am going to do with my time...which is why I have taken up umpiring as a separate pasttime.  Man, it is a blast.  I love being out there and helping to make baseball a better sport...because nothing can ruin a good time like bad officials...I probably will be getting back into refereeing basketball again too...this time, ExplosiveWife wants to learn as well.  I am anxious to see how she handles that!

No comments: