Friday, May 6, 2011

Another reason cell phones frustrate me...

The business of cell phones is maddening.  I currently use an Android phone, and I like it.  I wouldn't say I love it....but I certainly don't hate it.  It works.  

I keep seeing ads for the Windows Phone.  I think it might be a good alternative, but the more I think about it, the more frustrated I get.  

 

Because I can't try it.

I can't go to a store and try a phone out for a week.  I can't spend enough time with a phone's operating system to see if it is something I like.  About 2 years ago, I purchased a Motorola Backflip from an AT&T store.  After spending about 3 weeks with that abortion of a phone, I moved on and haven't looked back.  But, I needed time to get used to the phone, to get comfortable with the options, etc.  See, most people aren't like me.  They just want a phone that makes calls and occasionally checks email and Facebook.  Not me.  I want a phone that does it all, and doesn't frustrate me.  It is a tradeoff for me...I love the iPhone, but there are still too many things that make Android better, in concept.  Like free, turn by turn navigation.  Like over the air updates.  Like a real notification system.  But the iPhone works...it just works, and looks great (and has 100x better games).

So, I see all of these ads for the Windows phone and how awesome it is, but the last thing I am going to do is get locked into a 2 year contract with a phone that I might hate after three weeks.  I have to be able to try the phone out.  If someone were to let me use a Windows Phone for a few weeks, I bet I would love it, especially as a work phone.  The integration with Exchange is probably top notch (another thing that frustrates me about Android...the Exchange integration can be kind of wonky).

So, Microsoft...if you want a convert, send me a phone to use.  If I like it, I will buy it.  But there is no way in hell I am going to lock myself down until my son graduates from high school to try out your phone, only to hate it and have to spend more money.

Posted via email from Explosive Amnesia

No comments: