Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Daily Grind...

  • Boy, it has been a while. When you are shooting for a promotion at work, it is tough to find time to blog.
  • Saw that a professional news organization spelled the word "lightning" as "lightening". Several of my fellow bloggers have the same problem. There is no "e" in the word that describes electricity that bolts out of clouds.
  • I am an avid user of Google Docs. It just makes life way too easy. But, there are people at work who are such caveman technophobes that I don't even want to show it to them, because I would spend more time explaining and listening to them bitch about how it isn't Excel and they should just email them an attachment. That is the whole problem I am aiming to avoid!
  • Do yourself a favor and decide right now not to be one of those people who avoids new things. Sit down and figure it out. Learn a new skill every week.
  • You would be shocked to know how many people don't know about "Alt-Tab". Maybe you wouldn't, but I am.
  • Racism disclaimer: I am anything but racist...but why don't black people know about Tommy Boy? Try it out sometime...95% of black people will look at you like you have 4 eyes if you ask them about the movie Tommy Boy. Seriously...test it out.
  • I had someone yesterday tell me that The Waterboy was the stupidest movie they had ever seen. That cut me deep. I love that movie. :)
  • I went all suburbia last weekend and installed landscape lighting at my house. It cost me about $150 and it looks FANTASTIC. I have gone outside my house every night before I go to bed just to look at how cool it is.
  • ExplosiveSon's baseball team is disbanding. I can't say that I am entirely disappointed, but I will miss some of the Dads on the team that I have been friends with for a few years now.
  • Isn't it weird how relationships work sometimes? You will see someone 1-2 times a week non-stop for three years, and something like this happens, and you will most likely NEVER see them again.
  • That happens a lot at work. You see someone every day for years, and they move on, and you never talk to them again. Just...poof. Gone.
  • I am the 4th result for Denarius McGhee in Google...he was the QB at Trinity high school last year. He signed with Montana State...that has got to be a change in scenery for a young man just out of high school, going from the metroplex to Montana. I wish him all the best, and I am going to keep track of him over the years. Let's see how well he does.
  • We went to see TCU play Utah in baseball, and ExplosiveSon's new hero is Matt Vern, the TCU 1b. He has a pretty good shot at being drafted, and it will be fun to keep track of him as he develops.
  • I played high school baseball with a guy who has been on the cusp of making the majors for several years now. He even was a September call up for the last two years, but he just can't seem to put a good run together to stay in the majors. His name is Bryan Myrow. Good guy...I wish he would come through Texas. I would go say hi.
  • I miss blogging...I love just getting all my thoughts out stream of conciousness style. Not sure how much you like it, but hey, that is why I do it.
  • ExplosiveSon has already put in his pre-order for "Call of Duty 6", but it doesn't have the "Call of Duty" tag on it anymore. It is now just called "Modern Warfare 2". He dropped the $80 for the collector's edition, but he doesn't even know what makes it a "collector's" edition. I think he is going to be disappointed, but I have been wrong before.
  • Oh yeah...it doesn't come out until 11/10. He has some serious patience.

What do you guys read this blog on? Do you guys use an RSS reader like Google Reader, or do you just navigate to the page? I know I don't have a ton of "regular" readers, but I am interested to know. Leave me a comment!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

1. Google docs is great save the lack of pagination. Really difficult when you get a lengthy doc going not to have a way to narrow down where the part you want is without scrolling through the whole thing. I don't know why it's such a difficult thing to implement, zoho has it, but there you go.

2. Waterboy? Really? That's right up there with Fireproof for me.

3. Google reader is where I find you.

Duh said...

1. I agree. I use the spreadsheets to track daily logs and such, and I hate it that it can't open at the bottom.
2. Good one. Point for your team.
3. Love Google Reader. Greatest time-waste of all time.

Epic_Life said...

I just navigate to your page. And I'm not a technophobe, but just about the time I become comfortable with a new technology, it changes, and I'm behind the curve again.

I read a fascinating piece some time back about the way the human brain is changing. The younger people are adapting to the ever changing world, and their brains are adapting to accommodate the changes. Those of us who grew up in the paper, pencil, look-it-up-in-a-book era have more of a struggle to learn as quickly.