Monday, April 11, 2011

Blog struggles

Ok, I will admit it...my activity on here has been, for lack of a better word, shitty.  There is a good reason why, though....I have always really struggled with what kind of stuff to put on this blog.  Should I keep it edgy?  Should I keep it homely?  How much information should I reveal to the world about my family, etc.?

Just to give you an example of my paranoia, I strictly refuse to comment on YouTube videos, due to the simple fact that someone could probably figure out who I am, where i live, and what school my kids go to if given enough time and willpower.  Why piss people off on a forum that doesn't matter?

Which brings me back to this here blog and why I never update...I usually just don't want to tell all the good stuff.  Now, before you get the wrong idea, I don't secretly run a Waste Management company, or have these skeletons in my closet that I am afraid of.  In fact, I am probably one of the cleanest guys you will ever know. I don't do drugs, nor have I ever done drugs.  I have never even smoked a cigarette in my life.  I drink the occassional beer, but haven't overdone it in quite some time. So, you probably aren't going to get a lot of juicy stuff out of me.

Within the last year or so, I have discovered a wonderful blog that has truly inspired me, day in and day out, to be a better father to my children.  You will find it here.  The guy who does this blog reminds me a lot of myself...loves video games, loves his kid, and tries to do things that make him a better person.  Then it hit me...this guy is revealing quite a bit of personal information about himself and his family, and it isn't hurting him or anyone.  In fact, it is making them better.  So, here I am...the new blogging machine.  At least, that is the goal.

I have two kids.  One of them is a freshman, about to journey into the vast wasteland that is high school.  The other is in 2nd grade.  Both of them are quite smart, and not in that whole "my baby is so smart!!!" kind of way.  They are verified by independent evaluators smart.  Chandler, my son, absolutely destroyed his PSAT and is in very select company.  Last month, my daughter was asseded for the G&T program at her school.  So, I am told they are smart.

Now, before you go off and start thinking that I am about to go on this rant about how I am the reason they are smart, hold on just a sec.  I would never consider myself a lazy father...but I do think that 98% of all of the BS that parents do for their kids has nothing to do with how smart they are.  All the flash cards, Mozart in the womb, early childhood programs, etc. are just huge time wastes, in my opinion.  Your kids reflect you day in and day out, and the best thing that I can say about my kids is that they are hard working and they truly aim to please. That, in my opinion, is what truly makes a person successful, is that their goal is to make others happy.  Both of my kids truly respect their teachers (although we have had some dicey moments with the freshman, but overall we are still good), and this leads to good grades.  I know that sounds oversimplified, but it is the truth.  Now, back to the reflection piece...this is my number one flaw in life, but most of the time, it is an advantage.  I aim to please...I can't say no to anyone.  My wife hates this about me. If you need help moving, just ask me...I won't say no.  If you need someone to watch your dog for a weekend, just ask me. I won't tell you no.  I can't do it.  I have overcommiited myself so many times, it is sad, but this is what makes my kids tick.

I love my kids to the ends of the earth, but that doesn't really make me any different than 99.9% of all parents out there.  I am sure you love your kids too...just remember that what you do is the biggest indicator of what they will do.  If you smoke, so will they.  If you yell at the waiter at a restaurant, so will they.  The old adage of do what I say, not what I do, will never work with your kids.  So remember, if you hug your kids every day, sit down and eat dinner with them every day, and tell them that you love them every day, they will do the same.  And usually, that means they are going to be pretty good at being adults, too.

Posted via email from Explosive Amnesia

No comments: