Monday, May 4, 2009

Daily Movie Grind...

  • I saw a couple of movies over the weekend. Neither were very good, in my opinion.
  • First, I saw Fireproof, starring Kirk Cameron as a firefighter going through a rough patch in his marriage. This movie, for lack of a better phrase, was so unbelievably average, it made me sick. It felt like I was watching a poorly-scripted play at church. Overt Christian overtones, stupid attempts at comedy, and more preaching than you get in an average year at church. Now, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, I thought the message of the movie was good. As is usually the case with "regligious" films, it spent way too much time pandering to the audience and not enough time developing the story. It felt like I was watching a cross between an afterschool special and a Lifetime movie.
  • The sad part was that I had several people recommend this movie as a life changing type of film. As a film per se, it was terrible. Absolutely awful. The acting was pretty crappy, and I HATE to be pandered to, and this was one of the most pandering movies I have ever seen. Seriously, it was like reading a childrens' book.
  • I liked the firefighting scenes the best, especially the train sequence. That was kind of cool.

  • The second movie I saw was Seven Pounds with Will Smith. Very, very confusing movie, but it all makes sense in the end. I thought that they kept us in the dark for too long, then accelerated the story too fast to catch back up at the end. Not a bad movie, good premise, but I just found it too hard to be emotionally involved because they just wouldn't give any of the story up!

  • Baseball aside: We finally won our first game of the season on Friday night. We scored the winning run on a safety squeeze, called by yours truly. The funny part was that the kid that was batting had two strikes when I called it, but he had no idea he would have been out if he fouled it off, but I was counting on that when I called it. It worked to perfection, and I was as pleased as punch!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

undoubtly you didnt watch fireproof for the reason it was intended. my guesse is you are either single or divorced. if i am wrong about that then you are obviously not in a God supported relationship and there will come a time in your relationship that maybe you should have payed a little more attention to the true meaning of the movie.

Duh said...

First of all, thank you for completely proving my point. You couldn't be more wrong about me. I am happily married, for 10 years now, and my wife and I have an amazingly strong, faith based marriage. You basically just defined everything that I really get frustrated with about religion in general.

I got the movie. Don't get me wrong, I totally understood the point. But I thought the acting and the writing were pretty bad. That is what the phrase "per se" means. "by itself".

Please, if you live in a glass house, try not to throw stones.

Anonymous said...

When I think about Heaven, SpoonerStreet, I ask myself if I would like to spend eternity with the likes of Anon 2:50PM, much less the Kirk Cameron loser's of the world who "found religion and then produced some schlock such as this movie", I shout out a big HELL NO.

Epic_Life said...

Congrats on the win, and on the bunt call!

I'm really anxious for Young Epic to finish final exams next week, head back home, and start his summer collegiate season. It's been brutal to have to watch the typed play by play online rather than attend the games!

Duh said...

@epic - If my son is fortunate to play college ball, I think I would be sick if I couldn't watch him play. That is pretty much my dream as a Dad to watch him compete at a very high level, and watching typed play by play would probably just frustrate me to the point of no return. :)

stephy said...

I AM DYING OVER THAT FIRST ANONYMOUS COMMENT! Obviously you didn't watch Fireproof for the reason it was intended. Yeah, you have to have the RIGHT MOTIVES going into a terribly executed movie so that you can say something good about how crappily God's people produce things in his name. Now I will go onto shame your relationship status and say that your behavior indicates that you are not in a GOD SUPPORTED relationship. Like, you COULD be in a relationship with Anonymous here, and why wouldn't you want to be? Oh...yeah, they don't seem very nice. This Jesus they say they follow must not be very nice then either. That's what non-Christians have to assume, and I can't blame them one bit.