Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Daily Grind...



  • There is a growing subset of people who pronounce the word "milk" with a weird "i" sound.  It comes out sounding more like "melk" than "milk".  There is a radio commercial I heard this morning where an entire family says "melk".  Craig Miller of the Ticket also says "melk".  That has always bugged me.
  • Like when ExplosiveWife says "toelet" instead of "toilet".  I always remind her that there is an "i" in toilet.
  • ExplosiveDaughter always says "sawlet" instead of "saw it" as in, "Where is my hat?  I sawlet on the hat rack".  This is a southern drawl thing that kids seem to pick up from being around other kids.  This is the number one thing I have to correct her on in her speech. I feel like the dude in My Fair Lady.
  • ExplosiveDaughter is in kindergarten.  She wrote an essay yesterday about the official food of Texas, which is apparently meat.  She wrote "used to" as "yoosto".  That was cute.
  • My state representative just got a twitter page.  $10,000 says he doesn't have any idea what Twitter is about, and a staffer is doing it for him.  But, at least he is trying.
  • Kanye West said that his greatest regret is that he will never get to see himself play live.  I used to have thoughts similar to that (not that it is my greatest regret).  I used to lament that I would never know what the band sounded like as an audience member with me playing.  I would never know what they hear or what they see.  You can't recreate the live experience with video, and that always used to bug me.  
  • Geeding on bagofnothing.com mentioned that he ran into someone that didn't know the old joke of "La Quinta" meaning "Behind Denny's" in Spanish.  I told this to my son, who now gets the humor, but still makes it his life's mission to point out every La Quinta that doesn't have a Denny's behind it.  He has trouble with things that don't involve logic.
  • If you ask a normal person what time they get up in the morning, they usually round off and say "7:30" or "6:15".  Not my son. He will tell you that he gets up at 6:52.  That is just the kind of person he is.
  • He has also gotten up to an alarm clock on his own since he was 4 years old.  I have never once had to drag him out of the bed in the morning. 
  • I feel sorry for those parents that have to fight their kids to get them out of bed every day.  I made myself a promise that I would never be one of those parents, and taught my kids to use an alarm clock every day.  I am so glad that I don't have to do that.

3 comments:

Silicone Alley said...

I get up at 8:30 :)

The Accomplice said...

My older son gets up pretty easy, there is no fighting there. My daughter fights me. There are days that while the rest of us are getting ready, she has fallen back to sleep. Drives me nuts.

Duh said...

I know parents that have to fight that. They have to wake up an hour early to get ready, just to get their kids out of bed. There is no way I would do that. My kids would just have to learn the hard way. :)