Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Daily Grind...



  • There is a growing subset of people who pronounce the word "milk" with a weird "i" sound.  It comes out sounding more like "melk" than "milk".  There is a radio commercial I heard this morning where an entire family says "melk".  Craig Miller of the Ticket also says "melk".  That has always bugged me.
  • Like when ExplosiveWife says "toelet" instead of "toilet".  I always remind her that there is an "i" in toilet.
  • ExplosiveDaughter always says "sawlet" instead of "saw it" as in, "Where is my hat?  I sawlet on the hat rack".  This is a southern drawl thing that kids seem to pick up from being around other kids.  This is the number one thing I have to correct her on in her speech. I feel like the dude in My Fair Lady.
  • ExplosiveDaughter is in kindergarten.  She wrote an essay yesterday about the official food of Texas, which is apparently meat.  She wrote "used to" as "yoosto".  That was cute.
  • My state representative just got a twitter page.  $10,000 says he doesn't have any idea what Twitter is about, and a staffer is doing it for him.  But, at least he is trying.
  • Kanye West said that his greatest regret is that he will never get to see himself play live.  I used to have thoughts similar to that (not that it is my greatest regret).  I used to lament that I would never know what the band sounded like as an audience member with me playing.  I would never know what they hear or what they see.  You can't recreate the live experience with video, and that always used to bug me.  
  • Geeding on bagofnothing.com mentioned that he ran into someone that didn't know the old joke of "La Quinta" meaning "Behind Denny's" in Spanish.  I told this to my son, who now gets the humor, but still makes it his life's mission to point out every La Quinta that doesn't have a Denny's behind it.  He has trouble with things that don't involve logic.
  • If you ask a normal person what time they get up in the morning, they usually round off and say "7:30" or "6:15".  Not my son. He will tell you that he gets up at 6:52.  That is just the kind of person he is.
  • He has also gotten up to an alarm clock on his own since he was 4 years old.  I have never once had to drag him out of the bed in the morning. 
  • I feel sorry for those parents that have to fight their kids to get them out of bed every day.  I made myself a promise that I would never be one of those parents, and taught my kids to use an alarm clock every day.  I am so glad that I don't have to do that.
Post a Comment