Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dexter


Ok, Dexter is a great, great show. ExplosiveWife and I are just getting into the third season, and we loved the first two.

Michael C. Hall is a fantastic actor. ExplosiveWife complains that some actors on the show really get on her nerves, but I honestly believe that it is because he is such a good actor that everyone else kind of falls flat around him. He really shines when he is on the screen.

For those of you who don't follow the show, Dexter is a serial killer who has been raised by his foster father to have a moral code, only killing those people who "deserve" it. He leads a double life, alternating between morbid killer with a lust for blood and a very effective blood-spatter analyst for the Miami Dade Metro Police Department. The cool thing about it is how he is called to analyze a crime scene and secretly he gets off on admiring the work of the perp.

Season one is about Dexter and his police force tracking down another serial killer, "The Ice Truck Killer". It was a great start to the show, but season two is where it really gets good. Dexter's mass grave is found and an intense manhunt goes through the whole season, with Dexter living on the edge of being discovered.

If you haven't seen the show, I highly recommend putting it on Netflix and checking out the first season. You will like it. I promise. No, seriously. It does a good job balancing the story with the stuff you want to see. What I really liked about it is that the violence isn't gratuitous. I never liked Nip/Tuck because I can't stomach the surgery scenes. Dexter never really shows much of the blood and gore, but focuses instead on the exposition of the mind of a serial killer who lives among us. It really is fantastic television.

Some other thoughts:

Twitter is cool, no doubt...but what I think I like most about it is the direct connection you get with a celebrity. Where else in the history of time have we been able to see just what these people are thinking? And the best part is, you only have to follow those that you are interested in. If you go to TMZ's website, you get a bunch of celebrity news that you couldn't care less about, except maybe one or two stories. With Twitter, you get a glimpse into those people you have chosen to follow. I sent a suggestion to Shawn Marion about what jersey number he should wear. I learned from Weird Al Yankovic that his new single is out. I also know, via Twitter, that Martellus Bennett is a narcissist who loves to talk about himself, but that is cool, because that makes him who he is. If you have a twitter account, find yourself some people who you want to follow that you are interested in. It makes it a whole lot more interesting.

I am convinced that the hardest thing in the world to do is to get the volume on your speakers at work to be the right volume.

ExplosiveSon does not like his gamertag on XboxLive. I can't say that I blame him. So, we went on a two hour long exercise to figure out what a new gamertag for him could be. Unfortunately, all of the good ones were taken. Seriously, every single one we thought of was gone. He thought of some good ones, too, such as "Comb The Desert", which cracked me up, and "AmazingGolfBallWhackerGuy" but that was too long. So, he is still stuck with the old, crappy one. Any suggestions for him?

Fellow bloggers, I appreciate you.

4 comments:

The Accomplice said...

I love reading your blog. I tried to watch Dexter once, I guess I need to watch season 1 to fully understand whats going on.

Duh said...

It took us a while to get into the first season, but once we got hooked, we have been watching them much more frequently. It really is a great show, how it turns everything upside down and you start rooting for the serial killer. :)

soman said...

I like all the 3 season of dexter tv show and now season 4 premier on September 2009. you can watch and download dexter episodes from this link and you also got lots of news about dexter.

Unknown said...

u are right it is great great show and i loved all of its 3 seasons and currently watching its 4th season i love it so much that i have to download dexter so that i can watch it whenever i like to