Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yikes...politics...

Ok, if you read this blog even semi-regularly, you know that I don't like to get into religion or politics all that often, which will make this post seem even more weird, as I dabble into both!

Politics: (I am open to debate on this, as long as it is civilized)

Take whatever current political issue that is plaguing our country, and you will find no shortage of people who think it is the worst idea in the history of humanity. You will also find people who think that it is the one thing that will save humanity.

Isn't the system set up so that there is a balance of those people? If something passes into law, isn't it because there were more people that think it is a good idea than bad? Doesn't that mean that there were (in theory) more people who think it will help? Whether it is bailouts, health care, or hydrogen cars, isn't there a system in place that keeps the terrible ideas from becoming reality?

Religion: I am reading the book The Shack by William P. Young, at the recommendation of a very good friend. This is a great, great book that challenges a lot of religious ideals that many people might find a bit hard to swallow. I would suggest that if you are Catholic, don't read this book because your head will explode. Otherwise, if you have an open mind about the role that the Holy Trinity plays in our lives, you should probably read this book. I am not done with it yet, but I am close to finishing, and it really hits home with a Preacher's son.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I ponder God, I always remember The Crash Test Dummies song, "And God Shuffled His Feet".....that's pretty much how I think about God.

Duh said...

I say this without any hint of sarcasm whatsoever:

The Crash Test Dummies were one of my favorite bands of all time.

I loved that album, start to finish.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I know anout the CTD are that when I was a sophomore in college my biology professor played that MMM MMM MMM song during our labs every Thurs. Whenever I hear that song now phylum names of animal marine animals start popping into my head.