Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Daily Grind...



  • Hoo boy, it has been a while...so in the words of SiliconeAlley, let's get this bloggy blog going..or is it a posty post?
  • Very happy with the Oscars.  Probably the first time in my life I was even remotely interested.  I think it is because most of the films that were up for recognition were "mainstream" films.  The Oscars had trended towards smaller indie films in the past decade or so, and most of the time I just am not interested in seeking those films out.
  • I am going to have to see Milk and Frost/Nixon.  Soon.
  • I was happy that Benjamin Button got several awards. None of the big ones, but it was at least recognized. I loved that movie.
  • I thought it was odd that Hugh Jackman was not on the presentation for over an hour. It was like they replaced him with Will Smith (boom goes the dynamite) for an hour, then he returned.
  • Did it not look like Beyonce was lip-syncing?
  • My daughter, who is in kindergarten, forgot her homework today and we couldn't go back and get it.  I have never seen such a look of disappointment before.  I hope she still has that attitude when she is in high school.
  • I saw a truck on the way to work this morning that had a magnetic sign on it warning people of a specific builder of homes (I forget which one).  That takes a lot of dedication, to make a sign to warn people and drive around with it on your door all day.  I don't think I would have the energy to warn people like that.  Just write a bad review on the internet! That will show them!
  • ExplosiveWife and I went to see Gran Torino.  Here are a couple of random thoughts (MAJOR spoilers ahead):
  • I didn't believe the transition from racist old man to friendly racist old man.  It happened way too fast for me to believe.  Eastwood should have shown more time passing.  Maybe a montage.
  • I thought the acting of the Mung boy was borderline awful, but I don't necessarily blame him.  It is up to the director to get good performances from his actors, and Eastwood failed.  Specifically, the part where he gets locked in the basement. I didn't believe for one second that he wanted out of that basement.
  • At the end, at the reading of the will, I found it hard to believe that Walt's granddaughter would be even remotely excited about getting a '72 Gran Torino.  She came off as so superficial earlier in the film, and I didn't accept that she would be excited about the car.
  • I also find it hard to believe that after Walt was gunned down in the front yard of the gang's house, that the whole gang just patiently waited for the police to arrive and be arrested.  That was VERY hard for me to believe.
  • I did like the movie, but specific failures like this are what really takes the movie down a peg in my eyes.  I am usually the person who can suspend disbelief and get lost in a movie, but this one just tried too hard to take me out of that fantasy world.
My kids got Rock Band as a gift from their Aunt and Uncle.  Man, that game is fun, especially when you turn it up really, really loud. The game does a pretty good job making you feel like you are a part of a concert and you are up on stage, jamming out.  I was especially excited to see Epic by Faith No More on there.  That song is one in a million in my book.

Is every office in Texas having the same problem ours is?  Crazy absenteeism...several people missing many, many days of work, and it has been going on since January.

Finally, I want to thank all of you who take the time to read this blog, especially all of you Bridgeportians.  It means a lot to me that there is even one person out there who cares what I think, so thank you from the bottom of my heart.

2 comments:

The Accomplice said...

I hate that I can't comment on your blog while at work. Change your settings.

Demotivator said...

bridgeport rocks my socks off