Thursday, January 8, 2009

Daily Grind

  • Had me some Taco Bueno last night. Good stuff. The salsa bar was sans jalapenos last night, though. Personally, I never eat the stuff...but my wife was pretty upset. But, they came through and put out some pico and jalapenos, and the Hoekstra family was happy again.
  • I want to live in my house forever. Not because I love it (I do), but because I want my kids to always be able to come back to the house they grew up in and have those memories for the rest of their lives.
  • I think I am going to move this blog over to Blogger. It just connects better with the online world that I am in. If you have an objection, tell me now or forever hold your interweb comments.
  • I have a very annoying habit. I pluck the hairs from my face constantly. It is my tic. If I find a hair sticking out and I can't get it, I will pick at it all day until I come home from work. Then I make my wife get it with tweezers. Is that too much?
  • We made a budget decision last night. Instead of us limiting how much we go out to eat (my wife loves Mexican food), we decided that we would spend no more than $20 on any meal out, save for special occasions. I think it might work.
  • I have reached a twitter standstill. I haven't posted there in weeks. I just find it hard to believe that people want to know what I am doing every moment of my life.
  • Yet here I sit, blogging to no one. Hmm....
  • I always have so many thoughts that I want to put here, but I am really concerned about what people will think, because most of these thoughts are incredibly un-PC or somewhat disgusting. I will try to think of an example.
  • I always considered keeping a totally different blog just for those thoughts. Maybe I will do that...But how do you promote it without people knowing who you are?
  • I think I will give up Tumblr. It doesn't work well with Chrome, and that is slowly becoming my preferred browser. If they could just figure out a way to get me my Google Bookmarks, I would switch. Today.
  • If you use Outlook, I can save you a ton of time every day: Hit Ctrl-N to open a new email. Type the name of the person you are looking for and hit enter. Tab down to the subject and type it in. Tab to the body and type your message. Hit Alt-S to send it. There, you just send an email without touching your mouse. If you send a lot of email in a day, that will save you a ton of time and you will be more productive.
  • Oh yeah, if you aren't in email, use Alt-Tab to get to Outlook. You may never use your mouse again!

3 comments:

Kathleen... said...

I love the thought of keeping your house forever for the kids' memories...it's wonderful. I feel the same way. As a grown woman, it kills me to drive past my childhood home and find it overgrown and uncared for...it's like my memories are collecting disinterested dust there...

My husband is always making noise about wanting to move, but honestly? I can't stand the thought of leaving the hallways where they learned to toddle myself!

And I share the questioning on Twitter...who has the time to inform the universe on what they're doing minute by minute anyway? lol

Duh said...

I share the feeling. It kills me to drive by the house I grew up in and know that unless I become that weird person who asks to come in the house because I used to live there, I will never see the inside of that house again.

My mom also lives in a new house that I WISH I had grown up in, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Maybe I can go more indepth in a later post. Thanks!

el chupacabra said...

My sister lives in the house I grew up in, when life gets too heinous I go by there, visit for a little while and inevitably zonk out on the couch for a nap and I'll be good to go for months.