Thursday, January 22, 2009

Daily Grind...



  • Trust me.  There is nothing worse than being a closet grammar Nazi.  I pick out every little mistake anyone makes, but never want to say anything to them for fear of pissing them off.
  • Lost was pretty good last night.  I wonder if when JJ Abrams sat down and started writing the first season, if he had any idea that this season would start with someone explaining that the island moves through time.
  • I also wonder if he knew that he would have Cheech Marin play a prominent role in the season premiere.
  • I am debating whether or not to take my wife to see Nickelback in April when they come to town. We have caught them the last two times they have come through, and I just don't know if the show will be that much different than before.
  • On the other hand, Seether will be opening for them.  I might go just for that, and Nickelback would be the treat at the end.
  • If you have read my post on Benjamin Button, you know that I thouroughly enjoyed the film.  There is a bit of a backlash about how the movie is very similar to Forrest Gump.  I won't lie; I thought the same thing as I was watching it.   There are some striking similarities between the two films, but I don't think it detracts from the movie at all.
  • Took the Explosive Family to CiCi's Pizza last night.  We always love to go.  Son loves the pasta, Daughter loves the salad, and Wife loves the cheese bread.  Strike that...she lives for the cheese bread.  I always leave there wondering one thing, though:  How do they get their employees to act like that on a regular basis?  They are always very cheerful, and very, very helpful.  You can't force that on people forever. 
  • I remember the time before, the whole staff had a coordinated dance and song every time someone mentioned the BBQ Chicken Pizza.  It startled you at first, but after you heard it three or four times, you got used to it.  But I asked myself the same question: How do they get them to do this??
  • The two worst words in the English language: Standing Meeting
  • Explosive Dog got out of the house this morning.  Exactly what I wanted to spend 15 minutes of my morning doing, is chasing a puppy around our neighborhood.
  • Apparently, there is a daytime curfew in the HEB area.  I didn't know that.
  • The Mavs lost by 34 points last night after leading by 6 in the first half.  How do you have a 40 point swing like that?
  • Super sweet shortcut:  In IE, Firefox, or Chrome, hit F6 to put your cursor in the address bar. It will highlight all of the text for you.  Type the website you want to go to without the www. or the .com.  For example, if you want to go to www.amazon.com, just type amazon.  Then hit Ctrl-Enter. This will put the www and the .com in for you.  9 keystrokes and you are at a different website, and you never touched your mouse.  To recap:
  • F6 amazon control-enter
  • Works with any website ending in .com
  • By the way, if you notice a word misspelled or bad grammar, I am one of those people who wants you to tell me, so feel free to point it out.  Try not to get too technical, though..I can handle corrections on big mistakes, but don't tell me that I dangled a participle or ended my sentence with a preposition or somesuch.  This is a blog, not Mr. Hand's class.

4 comments:

el chupacabra said...

Cicis cheese bread is epic.

The Accomplice said...

Are you an English teacher? Can I have my grade now?

Duh said...

It was always something I wanted to do, to become an English teacher. I was actually an English major in college, but it was way too intense for me and took all of the enjoyment out of it.

You get an A-. :)

Epic_Life said...

"never want to say anything to them for fear of pissing them off"
To avoid ending with the preposition, "out of fear of pissing off people, I never want to say anything about their grammar."

Sorry about correcting the preposition...