Friday, January 9, 2009

Daily Grind

  • Yes!  I found the bullets for posting!
  • 30 Rock was really on last night.  Very, very sharp.  I also love how they will throw a joke in there that not a lot of people will get, but when those people do get it, it is damn funny.
  • For example, Jack hired a housekeeper (Selma Hayek) to watch his mother, and her way of getting people to do what she wants is to speak in authoritative, quick Spanish.  So she started doing that to Jack, and halfway through he asks, "Is that the subjunctive?", which wouldn't mean anything to most people unless you have been through pretty intensive Spanish classes.  I laughed so hard I had to pause the Tivo for a minute.
  • Another thing I picked up from 30 Rock:  Apparently the word "biopic" is pronounced bye-oh-pic and not bye-ah-pic.  I had always thought it was pronounced the other way around.
  • I am so glad that I don't work at a newspaper.
  • Saw a review of Nickelback's Dark Horse on the Observer today. It said that the best song on the album was "This Afternoon".  Good song, but not the best. But I will say that it is the catchiest. You will be humming that all day long after hearing it one time.
  • Do yourself a favor, and check out The Letter Eleven.  Written by a guy I went to high school with..Read his post about the lollipop and I dare you not to laugh.
  • The National Championship game last night was kind of a snooze fest.  The Fiesta Bowl was a much better game.
  • I am glad that I do not root for any college in particular.  College football is the one sport that I can watch with true objectivity and just enjoy it for the sport's sake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When is Nickelback going to go away? They were over exposed with the second album. I love that XM transmits the new artist a second before starting the song, just so I can avoid Nickelback and Taylor Swift.

Duh said...

You know, I hear that a lot about Nickelback, and I totally understand the criticism. The songs on the radio are, for the most part, formulaic, contrived, and over-produced. I personally like them for the songs that don't make it on the radio. I will put together a Nickelback post and give some examples. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Well, since I haven't taken any advanced spanish classes......why is the subjunctive reference funny?
However, in my line of work I can assure you that most folks pronounce it "bye-ah-pic".

Duh said...

In Spanish, there is what is called the "subjunctive tense", which we don't really have in English. It has to do with when you have two subjects in a sentence. The English translation would be something like, "I think that you should..", or "I hope that they don't".

I think the reason that it was funny to me was because I just finished three semesters of college Spanish, and the subjunctive tense was pretty difficult to learn. Hearing them mention that on 30 Rock means (to me) that someone on the show remembered how tough the subjunctive was and played that joke through Jack.

Hope that explains it. :)